CPC Training: Definition and Explanation
It can be quite a risky experience to operate large or bulky goods vehicles. The government, together with EU regulations, came up with the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) for both bus and coach drivers in 2008, and then for lorry drivers a year later to lower the risk and to assist in preserving a professional image for the industry. Any professional coach, bus or lorry driver should acquire the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) training since it is an important qualification, after completing their initial qualifications at Surrey and Hampshire HGV Training.
Generally, it comprises two parts: the first part is the original qualification for new drivers, and the other is to maintain the validity of their CPC, each driver should undertake 35 hours periodic training, after every five years. As of now, CPC certification is a legal necessity for nearly every professional driver who has a Category C or Category D license.
When Is a Driver CPC Not a Necessity?
There are a few situations where drivers are excused from requiring a Driver CPC. Typically, this applies if they are:
– Operating vehicles that are carrying passengers, goods, or materials on a non-commercial basis. The term “non-commercial” referring to an activity that isn’t meant to generate profit or is for personal use.
– Carrying material or equipment that you will utilise in the course of your work, as long as driving the vehicle isn’t the main part of your job
– You aren’t a professional driver. Your job, however, comprises a casual element of driving empty coaches, buses and lorries in the local area. You’ll be required to meet certain conditions, such as not carrying goods or passengers and driving within 50 km of your base.
What Do You Expect to Find in This Training?
For new drivers, the initial training comprises four modules and includes the practical and theory tests the driver should take to acquire a specialist driver’s license. The other two modules pay much attention to professional coach, bus or lorry drivers.
The Initial Driver CPC Training’s Structure Comprises:
– Theory test. To receive a driver’s license, you have to do this standard test.
– Practical test. It’s another necessity to procure a driver’s license that entails a standard driving ability test.
– Case studies. It’s generally a CPC-specific test that is based on questions about situations that the driver might come across while driving.
– Another practical test. It’s also a CPC-specific test that requests the driver to explain and illustrate other fundamental aspects of lorry driving apart from the actual technical elements of driving.
When it comes to renewing driving licenses, it’s a requirement for the drivers to complete at least 35 hours of training and should be in every CPC module training course for at least seven hours. Since there is no exam involved, there is also no-fail component or direct pass. If you want to have the Drivers CPC, all you need to do is to attend the training and be there for the minimum hours required. It’s crucial to remember that, after five years, CPC hours expire if they aren’t used. By checking online, you can find the number of valid modules you have, as well as when you took them.
Before attending a CPC training course, it’s important to have the following items with you:
– Driver CPC card
– Digital tachograph card
– Valid passport
– Photocard driving license
What’s surprising is that you can still acquire the DQC even after sitting the same module five times
Benefits of CPC Training
– Environmentally friendly and more efficient. As part of the CPC training, the drivers will have a chance to learn how to drive in a considerably more fuel-efficient way. For the organisations and employees, it serves as a financial benefit since less money is spent on fuel.
– Safe Driving. It enables them to be better and more reliable drivers since they’re more familiarised with how to prevent situations that can result in serious repercussions.
– More employable. It will help drivers in improving their knowledge, making them more employable. Since there’s an increasing demand for experienced and qualified individuals in this industry, updating or acquiring your driving CPC will assist you in the job search market.